Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Red Leather Book

A desire to write with an ink pen upon hand made paper has come upon me! Reluctantly I pull out the red leather book, with an imprint of an elephant, filled with hand made course paper. As I feel its texture I feel nostalgic! The black pen filled with India ink is ready; I test it by scribbling along the edge of the newspaper. And then I stop!

This book was saved for a different occasion, I had dreamed of writing upon it only when I had a story worthwhile of telling. It was to be imprinted with words that I hoped I would grow into at sometime in my future.  I therefore stop to wonder!

The day is just perfect, the sunlight is just right, the birdsong is simply pleasant, Popeye, my puppy, is sleeping upon my lap and snoring softly, the children have grown up beautifully, my dear husband made just the right cup of coffee for me this morning, I have friends who call upon me and answer me when I need them, I am blessed with siblings that I can laugh with and I have in my possession a red leather book with an imprint of an elephant to write upon!

There is no moment like the present and any life that had lived has a story of its own to tell!

So I write upon the very first page, upon the red leather book with the imprint of an elephant, filled with course hand made paper, with my black pen filled with India ink, the numerous things that have graced upon my life, filling me with gratitude! My words are still small, I haven’t grown into those large words that I had hoped I would. My cursive writing is still imperfect!

The story of my life much smaller than I dreamed it would be and yet immensely valuable!


This book with my simple words etched upon its course papers, this too will remain right here, it will not travel with me! But this process of felt words, written deliberately with flowing black ink, while sitting by the desk on the day with the right bit of sunlight and birdsong, with the snoring puppy as my companion! This experience! The texture of these lovely thoughts and heartfelt emotions! This will forever remain with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment