Sunday, April 17, 2016




This iconic painting titled ‘ The Scream’ by Edvard Munch in one among my favorites.

While on a walk with his friends, the artist apparently felt like he heard a scream resembling the sensation of angst that passed through nature. The blood red evening sky along with the reflective waters added to his anxiety and he simply stood at the spot frozen while his friends walked along.

Most of us who have actually been alive to the experience of living have felt this existential angst at one point or another. It’s a crushing force that seems to obliterate our individuality by smudging it into the mass collective of the universe.

The reason I find this work impressive is because it communicates the idea it carries with simplicity. It is not artistically exquisite or complicated. Yet it expresses a common phenomenon brilliantly!

Pieces of art be it music, paintings, sculptures, writings or movies that truly appeal to us are those that express what is quintessentially true to us with great clarity. Everything else is just noise in a noisy world!

The art world can be intimidating. I was especially anxious when I was still very new. Was I asking the right questions? Was I making the correct observations? What if I liked something everybody found hideous? What if I opened my mouth and gave proof of my ignorance? And such!

When we allow ourselves we all know, we know what we like and we know what we don’t like and that’s all that there is to art too!







No comments:

Post a Comment