Monday, August 17, 2015

Cheating Day

I love grocery shopping! There I said it.

If I find the parking spot of my choice the experience is even more endearing. This day I was lucky enough to find the right spot.

 I turned off the engine and took three full breaths before I strode into the store – a useful habit built to bring in full presence. I paused as usual to take in the sight of those flowers – today I wanted something simple - I chose a bunch of daisies to keep me company for the week. I picked my fruits and veggies with care formulating and recalling recipes even as I bagged them. As I placed the milk carton into the cart I felt like surprising the kids with their favorite butter croissants.

Soon I was in the bakery. I picked up a brown bag to put the freshly baked croissants inside. This is when it happened! My eyes fell upon these freshly baked delicious little devils – cranberry and pistachio scones! My inner angel spoke, “no, no, no, be mindful of your diet”, she said. I paid heed and walked past.

It was not as if I thought about those scones again, I seemed to have completely forgotten about them. Just as I picked up my favorite tea I sensed a strange stirring within me. The stirring brought in reminders – the moments of my life were rushing forward, I could die anytime, perhaps even in the parking lot outside, this precious life was so very short and even more unpredictable - the stirring asked me if I had enjoyed as many joys of living as I possibly could have?

“I don’t want to die not knowing what those scones taste like”, I murmured walking straight across the store back into the sweet smelling bakery. This time I had company. I found this elderly gentleman eyeing the very same pile of scones.  I stood beside him waiting patiently – perhaps the wisdom of his years will soothe the temptation that had grown within my heart.

“You know today is my cheating day”, he spoke looking at me as if he knew me from way back and long beyond. “I’ve been good this whole week”, he added. “Well, you are still so very young but at my age, this stuff, it’s very bad for me”, he whispered leaning closer.

We both stood like stunned pilgrims before an alluring deity who had come alive.

“Its called living”, I announced! “We have to do it as well and as best as we can”, I concluded as I winked at him. We laughed at each other as we picked our scones, delighted more so that we were not alone anymore in our pressing temptation. He wished me a good day as I effortlessly raced down to checkout.


I didn’t wait to get home. I took a big bite of that scone right in the parking lot! The taste of toasted pistachios, juicy cranberries and sweetened dough was simply exemplary. “Now I can die in peace”, I said speaking to myself as I often do. I smiled as I thought about those peaches in my trunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment