Saturday, December 20, 2014

Keeping Christ in Christmas!

‘Keep Christ in Christmas’, read the board placed outside a local church, which I read contemplatively, as the lady with a swaying walk, walked briskly, exercising, as I sat in traffic hoping to get to school on time.

I am not a Christian!

My kids, good kids on three hundred and fifty plus days, enjoy having a tree, decorated with ornaments many of them made at home. Presents lie below it, in celebration of a holiday when we are all at home, relaxed with no where to go, enjoying a special dinner with friends, opening presents, laughing, crying, cheering, sharing, celebrating life as most others do.

The lady with the swaying walk is briskly walking on her way back and I have just moved a few inches along the road. I may never get to school in time! Today I am in a rush! My child, she spent her time baking cup cakes for her teachers. She worked relentlessly on perfecting the icing and boxed each of them with holiday wishes and cheers! I’m in a rush as I’m eager to learn about her day but here I am sitting in traffic, with a fully decorated tree back home, friends on my guest list and meals planned but without Christ as I am not Christian.

I recollect the story from an age-old Jewish parable! By the way, no, I’m not Jewish either!

A certain rabbi on learning about the misfortunes of his people, went to the forest, lit a light, said a prayer, told the story and the magic happened! His successor, went to the forest, confessed that he did not know how to light the light, but said the prayer, told the story and the magic happened again. The successor of this rabbi, went to the forest, confessed that he did not know how to light the light, nor could he say the prayers but told the story and the magic happened. This man’s successor, did not know the way to the forest, nor could he light the light or say the prayers, so he simply told the story and the magic happened anyway!

Here’s my story! I love the holidays even though I am not Christian! My kids are good kids on most days and they desire a celebration! They have written notes of warm wishes, bought gifts for needy children, wrapped it up like they would for their best friends and made donations! They are excited about hot apple cider, roasted chestnuts, chocolate cookies and fruit -cakes also! Until two years back they expected Santa to make his yearly contribution! They get good grades, are polite to friends and neighbors, work hard and keep their rooms clean on most occasions!


I think Christ will approve my Christmas celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment