Friday, January 30, 2015

What have you done for yourself today?

This morning I remembered to take my vitamins! It was not one of those random thoughts that bounce off of you in the bustle of a busy morning when you remind yourself to pack lemonade for lunch, respond to the e-mail about the fundraiser, let the dog out while you finish a cup of coffee without tasting a single sip! This was conscious! A moment taken to bring back attention to the woman who sometimes caring for everyone around her, forgets to care for herself!

I’m a hard-working human! I love our family! We are a caring people.

Popeye loves to chew on used socks, that’s his thing! Thing-one, keeps her room immaculate but is messy at the homework table. Thing-two, who is the budding artist has projects that are work-in-progress in several rooms, there are mason jars in the living room, construction paper on the breakfast table, a mobile hangar art in the closet and drying roses in the mud- room. The husband and myself are busy adults. If there are dishes piled in the sink, pending paperwork in the dining room, stacks of unsorted mail, a fridge tacked with to-do notes, its cause there are not enough hours in the day or the right moment has just not come.

I have this need to keep everyone ‘happy’! It’s not always a gift; it’s mostly a curse! Needless to say I take on extra chores. I pick up after the dog, I pick up after my kids, I remind them of projects to be done, to practice the flute, to eat their vegetables and clean behind their ears. I help my husband with his work. I am his support system, his joy, his nightmare, his love, his regret all rolled into one! It’s easy to forget about me!

Things had to change! Yesterday the dog had to settle for a smaller walk than usual.  One child was encouraged to do her own laundry while the other put things away and cleaned the family room. The husband understood that more work for me meant less time for us! And I had a huge learning in all of this as well!

I had to learn, what I can and what I cannot be for everyone! Today I ate breakfast sitting down at the table, tasted every sip of my coffee and reminded myself to take my vitamins. What have you done for yourself today?



No comments:

Post a Comment