Saturday, June 6, 2015

Flowers

‘There is nothing perfect in this world, except for Jesus!’ she said to me smugly, turning her face away and avoiding my eyes. I was reprimanded for taking my time to pick the ‘perfect flowers’ at her store.

The bouquets of pale pink roses, pink carnations and white daisies, they continued dancing in my arms as I walked away smiling. I was much too happy to allow a grumpy old storekeeper bring me down.

Besides she had turned her back even as I said, “Yes, there is nothing perfect but everything is beautiful!”

My teenage child was delighted when she saw me with all those fresh colors! “I can help you mom!” she said, even as I unwillingly let go of my cheery companions. Her young hands did their best in arranging those flowers in three different vases, and I bit my tongue and held back my advice on flower arrangement. Happiness cannot be a science. Besides nothing is perfect and yet everything is beautiful!

For whatever reason today I find myself thinking back on the harshness in the tone of the storekeeper.

 I too was crusty once upon a time!

 At times there has been too much bitterness to swallow, too many disappointments to overcome, too much pain for one tender heart – it is then that I too have resorted to righteous justification, to anger, to cynicism, to sarcasm and to blind fury.

I was lucky!

On those nasty occasions too, there have been loving ones who have held me, knowing that there was more to me than what I could see.  They knew that there was still goodness and kindness under those layers of prickly cynicism!

I could not see then, but I can see now!

I hope that when I visit her again next week, the lady at the store will be kinder. If not then I’ll pretend that I’m one of her loving ones who will have to hold her until she sees the beauty in her own true nature.

Either way those flowers are coming home!






No comments:

Post a Comment