Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Abstract Art



I have to admit that there was a time when I judged abstract expressionism as unskillful and immature. ‘A child can paint that’, I often remarked at art museums.

When I started taking lessons at art school I swore that I would paint soft and soulful images. I never thought that I would one day harbor this burning desire for abstract expressionism. But I am finding myself strongly drawn towards it on occasions. 

So - why abstraction? Why do I choose this seemingly senseless form of art? Why do I derive great satisfaction from such compositions?

Though I am quiet capable of formulating a strong and respectful argument for this new cause that inspires me, the truth of it is really - pretty simple! My paintings are representative of the state of my mind and the quality of my mood is depicted in the colors. 

I cannot fully explain my moods so I cannot provide concrete reasons for my choices of color. But the quality of my mind at a given moment is usually clear to me.

Over the years I’ve realized that all forms of knowing result in the same findings!

Be it spiritual or scientific - all human findings are subject to relativity. Just as in the scientific world there is no clarity of what is 'real' anymore, similarly in the spiritual world too there is no absolute clarity on the ultimate purpose of life and living. 

Our lives have as much meaning and purpose as we assign to it. Perspective too is different for a given subject depending on the space occupied by the painter. Everything in the real world has a component of being unreal - we will never know who draws the image in the mirror, sounds the echo or guides us from within ourselves. 

This awareness frees up my art as well. The abstractions that I conjure are as representative of the world as the physical objects present within it.

 But of course even my choices are forever changing.


No comments:

Post a Comment